Thursday 13 August 2009

Thai Thai

Thai Thai, the extra Thai is to make sure you know what cuisine it is. It’s Thai by the way. Befitting of the dodgy side of Botany Road, it’s a dingy, grudgy looking hawker shop, something you might find on the streets of Phuket. Painted in a funky shade of green, filled with Thai postcard pictures and of course respects paid to the revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Unfortunately, from the massaman beef curry sampled, the same respects aren’t paid. Here’s the story. The kitchen is open and with only one couple already eating, I expected my take away to have been attended to immediately. However, it seemed that someone had telephoned an order so the chef came out and started stir frying something green in the wok. Fair enough, mine should be next. 10 minutes later and completion of the cooking, the chef disappears with no signs of any work being put into the massaman. I’m getting a bit agitated. Another 5 minutes later of pottering about, up pops a worker from below the counter and hands me a plastic box. Strange… where did that come from if they didn’t cook it?

I get home, take off the lid and my suspicions confirmed. The top bits where the curry didn’t cover the meat had a darker tinge, as if heated in a microwave. It lacked flavour as well other than being extremely heavy handed on the coconut cream and extremely oily. Which probably lead to my body rejecting the food due to the high fat levels. Or it could have been something more sinister. If only I knew it was going to be like that, I wouldn’t have paid $14 for it.


0.5 / 5 yums!
------
Where? 40 Botany Rd, Alexandria, NSW
What? Under $20

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails