Wednesday 11 July 2007

Kim Chi Friends

I wish I had a kim chi friend. One who can fulfil my love of cheap standard Korean food. My curiosity, following a recommendation, brings me to Chadstone, to this modest, student hawker style café, on the row of shops opposite Holmesglen TAFE.

Still not sure about Korean dumplings, they can’t seem to get the meat to casing proportion quite right. Pan fried flat on both sides til crisp, though a little like chewing on an eraser. The mild soy and sesame sauce gives the pork, spring onion and potato noodles inside a lift.

The disordered chaos of Bi Bim Bab surprisingly had a sunny side up egg on top. Proportion of rice to vegetables and mince was disappointing. Whilst the hotpot was burning long enough to stir fry the concoction, releasing the flavours from the mushrooms, carrot, radish, spinach and cucumber, I wish it remained hot so the rice could char. When my arm doesn’t get tired from stirring, it’s not hot enough. Distinct sesame flavour throughout but adding the mandatory chilli sauce finishes the dish. Good, but much better were the generous proportions of Beef Bul Go Gi, in a pleasant sweet soy and onion marinade and the faultless Chicken Teriyaki.

I think I’ve made a friend today. I’ll come back soon.

2.5 / 5 yums!

------

Where? 631 Warrigal Hwy, Chadstone

What? Dumplings – $6, Average Main - $9



Left to Right : Gun Man Doo, Hot Pot Bi Bim Bab, Bi Bim Bab (stirred), Beef Bul Go Gi, Chicken Teriyaki

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails