Wednesday 11 July 2007

Ichi-Ban Boshi

I envy Sydney for its gluttony of fine Japanese casual eateries like I envy Rafael Nadal for his wicked top spin forehand, bulging biceps and strikingly good Spanish looks. As the slowcooked team has duly agreed, this is the best Japanese food consumed outside of Japan. All the dishes take you back to those railway and street foodstops, where the food has been made with typical Japanese precision.

I’ve had the honour of consuming the holy grail of ramen (on my 5th attempt to order it), its Tonkotsu limited to 15 bowls daily, is worth arriving at roughly 1:30pm when it becomes available. The pig bones are slowly simmered to release its flavour into the savoury rich broth. Memories are ignited of all the good times in Hakata and Sapporo. I drank as much of the soup as I could, too bad that collagen is going straight to my hips. But I feel like a conquering samurai. The Katsu-ju is also a favourite, a deep-fried crumbed pork cutlet topped with egg and onion chiffon and sweet soy and mirin sauce.

You may have lost money betting on Rafa Nadal who lost out against the Fed-Express at Wimbledon, but you can’t go wrong with anything on this menu.

3.5 / 5 yums!

------

Where? The Galeries Victoria, Level 2, 500 George St, Sydney

What? Average Mains - $11







Left to Right : Crab and Corn Ramen, Char-siu Ramen, Beef Tataki, Tokyo Ramen, Tonkotsu-Don, Curry-Don, Katsu-Ju, Karage, Karage Set, Tonkotsu Ramen, Green Tea ice-cream

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails