Monday 16 July 2007

Old Thanh Huong Restaurant

Old Thanh Huong, is one of a trio of establishments on this small shopping strip on Illawarra Road, Marrickville. If the other two were its siblings, I’d feel sorry for them. The eldest gets all the attention and custom. I recall one time when I accidentally opened the door to one of the neighbouring restaurants and in a flash, an excited manager rushing to greet customers. I think I broke a heart when I apologised and proceeded to Old Thanh Huong.

When Vietnamese is this good, I can’t try anywhere else in the area. A menu covering Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese and Indonesian, you’re spoilt for choice. I stick to the favourites though. Crispy skinned chicken or beef cube and tomato rice is a classic. Pho is the best I’ve had south of the city. It’s smoky, sweet and rich flavoured broth. Available on weekends, Ban Xeo (Vietnamese pancake) is a must try, packed full of onions, seafood and pork and lightly coloured with tumeric, although the portion is enormous and best shared. Wash it down with a St John’s Wort, Three Colour Drink, Custard Apple, sweet Ching Po Leung or ice lemon tea.

I’ve never had to wait for a table, but that’s because I always went after peak times. Time your visit well, otherwise you’re heart might be broken if you don’t get a seat.

3.5 / 5 yums!

------

Where? 356 Illawarra Rd, Marrickville

What? Average main - $8


Left to Right : Beef cube tomato rice

1 comment:

Restaurant In Melbourne said...

Hi,
Restaurant booking online is the good concept. To book the table and order online food on particular date and time.
Restaurant Onlinebooking Melbourne

Related Posts with Thumbnails